Re: re-transmission: Re: Prepping to install

On 06/18/15 09:16, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 07:35:54AM -0453, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
On 06/16/15 02:17, Martin Husemann wrote:
See also:

http://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=44774

(and some discussions around that topic on tech-install IIRC). We should
realy have a multi-level boot override/priority selection.

However, I think ramdisk based install kernels like

http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/201506160230Z/amd64/binary/kernel/netbsd-INSTALL.gz

should work: just exit the installer and manually use raidctl to unconfigure
the auto-root property.
P.S. to last reply, a bit of discussion in the man page would be extremely
helpful on this matter :-) ....
I presume the smiley is to indicate you are joking, AIUI, man pages are
intended for reference use --- i.e. 'what option do I need for x' etc.

Only partly joking, more to indicate 'no offense intended'. The man pages are quite useful & accurate, but mute on the interaction between installer & commands invoked from the shell under the installer (for example). I apparently got in trouble by rebooting from the invoked shell rather than 'ctrl-D'-ing back to the installer (definitely pilot error, but too easy to do), leaving things unbootable until I use another USB installer to zero out enough of the 2 offending drives to be able to boot the installer again. Again, no biggie, but a bit more discussion somewhere might have kept me out of the drink.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.