Re: Prepping to install

On 06/08/15 18:08, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
On 06/08/15 10:28, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
On 05/31/15 17:00, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
On 05/31/15 14:45, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
On 05/31/15 14:43, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 02:41:01PM -0453, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
At 1st glance, I see no AHCI options for SATA. I do see OHCI & EHCI for
'Southbridge chipset configuration' ....
It is often called "internal ide controller mode" or similar.

Martin

Indeed it was, confusing names, but I seem to be past this hurdle :-)
.... Thanks !!!!

Well, on to more issues. I proceeded with my install, took the utilities option & from the shell, partitioned & disklabel'ed my 6 HDD's as I wanted them. All appeared to go well, no error messages. I then proceeded to raidctl commands to define the various RAID's I am trying to use. In particular, I am using the 1st 16 GiB of the 1st 2 drives (wd0 & wd1) as my root drive in a RAID1 configuration. I typed in the commands to define the RAID from a configuration file I set up & got errors saying something about the # of columns in /dev/wd0a or 1a was wrong. Inconveniently, these messages went by on the screen, not into the messages file on the install flash-drive. So I powered off, unplugged the flash drive & plugged it into this box (FreeBSD 9.3R-p13 desktop) to post my config files & ask for help, see attached for my disklabel of wd0, wd1 & my raid.conf file for the 1st RAID using those 2 drives (belay my last reply, sorry for that noise). I thought I followed the commands OK & had no errors until the raidctl command. TIA for any clues & have a nice weekend.

Well, I am back from an out-of-town trip & back to this rather disjointed build. I booted the machine using the 6.1.5 USB install image, as detailed previously & told it to run /bin/sh. I re-tried my 1st raidctl commands & it said that raid was already defined. I did a raidctl -s on that raid device & it said all was OK except for parity dirty, which I had not initialized yet, so that was OK as well. I proceeded to setup the rest of the basic raid devices & all said there were fatal errors, but they were ignored. I then did a 'raidctl -i <dev>; raidctl -S <dev>' on the 1st 3 devices, all RAID1's of 2 X 16 GiB partitions, & the commands completed fairly quickly, a few minutes total. The 4th device is a RAID5 of 5 almost 1 TiB partitions, 4 active, 1 spare. I kicked off the 'raidctl -i <dev>; raidctl -S <dev>', & it says ETA: 5:15:nn (!!!!!), i.e. over 5 hours. Is that a normal ETA for that task ? I am letting it go for now, so I can't retrieve anything from the ongoing process, but that sounded a bit long to me. Any clues appreciated. TIA & have a good one.

More tacky self-replying, so sorry .... The above raidctl commands on the RAID5 device completed successfully, so off to the next order of business, assembling my new RAID1 raid1 & raid2 devices into a RAID10 device to mount as /usr; I issued the command 'raidctl -C raid10.txt raid4' & it failed as follows:

dk_lookup on device: /dev/raid1 failed!
RAIDFRAME: rf_ConfigureDisks failed with 2
raidctl: ioctl (RAIDFRAME CONFIGURE) failed: no such file or device!

with the 1st 2 lines in green & the last one in white. I did a 'raidctl -s raid1 > LIST.raid1.txt', which I attach, as well as my raid10.txt configuration file. I am assuming pilot error here, but I have been pretty careful to make sure my commands were at least consistent w/ the online man pages, etc. Any help appreciated. TIA & have a nice evening.

Well, on further review of my last post, I determined that my 'raid.conf' file raid10.txt had an error, referring to /dev/raid[1,2], which in fact do not exist. There are however /dev/raid[1,2][a-p]. Which ones do I use to setup my RAID10 from my RAID1 devices raid1 & raid2 ? TIA & have a good one :-) ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.