Re: using sysinst to create xen DOMUs

On May 19, 2015, at 9:31 AM, John Nemeth wrote:
>    Unprivileged users can't use vnconfig to create vends.

Yes, but when sysinst is run as root it does even worse.  If the "partition a disk" option is selected there is an immediate command failed error for the command "dkctl wd0 delwedge dk0".  It is impossible to get beyond this and so none of the options regarding vnd, raidframe, etc. ever show up.

Admittedly, I am running this on a machine that already has lots of wedges going, but it seems reasonable to expect that sysinst could figure this out and select something appropriate.  More importantly, though, why is it even trying to mess with wd0 in the first place, when one of the presumed options is to create a vnd, i.e., avoid touching any existing disks.

I don't think this is fundamentally an issue about privilege; rather it appears that something in the logic of these options is not very robust.  (Or my understanding of the use case is incorrect, but in the absence of documentation I can't know that.)

Cheers,
Brook