Re: simple routing protocols and openvpn

Brook Milligan <brook%nmsu.edu@localhost> writes:

> As I was preparing additional information to clarify the problem, I
> noticed that routed uses RIPv1 by default.  Switching on RIPv2 makes
> everything work as expected.  Why would one want to use RIPv1 anyway?
> Is there a reason it is the default?

Probably not, and it's just the usual hard-to-change defaults.  If
there's a way to make ripv2 default and the options can turn v1 back on,
that sounds reasonable, as ripv1 really should not be used.

> Sorry about bothering the list with this, but perhaps someone else
> will make a similar mistake.  Along those lines, would it be valuable
> to include an example gateways file in, for example,
> /usr/share/examples/routed?

It might help someone, but really I suspect this is hardly used.  The
other thing is to add a few lines to the man page, if it's unclear.  I
don't mind examples, but needing them can be a sign of inadequate
documentation.