RAID and GPT

Right now most of my systems have disks <= 2T, and disklabel, except for
data-only external drives that are GPT.

I realize that booting off gpt and gpt/raid is perhaps too hard, so all
of this is asked in the context of loading a kernel from a USB stick
that will then have root on a parition on a RAID1 set.

Normally I
  - use a pair of identical disks
  - set up a disklabel with a single partition of type raid
  - configure a RAID1 set, marked -A root
  - within the /dev/raid0d, disklabel, with a as root at 0, b swap, and
    so on

I am wondering about:
  - a pair of identical 4T disks
  - GPT, with each having a single partition starting at 64, type 'raid'
  - a RAID1 of what will be configured as /dev/dk0 and /dev/dk1, marked
    as -A root
  - within raid0, gpt label, and partitions
       index 1   start=64 size=8G root
       index 2   size=64G /usr
       index 3   size=rest /home
    or something like that.

Specifically, I wonder if the raid autoconf will find a ffs root only at
0 offset, because it doesn't parse the label, or if it recurses.

Will the inner GPT partitions just show up (as dk2/3/4?)?  Can I
configure a kernel with root on /dev/dk2 (but that seems non-robust if
half of my raidset is missing)?

And I wonder how much of this works on netbsd5 or netbsd6, vs 7/current.

Alternatively, if I have 2 x 4T disks, and wants to run NetBSD in
something functionally similar to the above, what should I do?

(It seems obvious that the thing to do is buy 2 x 240G SSD, make them
into a raid1 pair with good old-fashioned disklabel, marked -A root, and
put root/usr on them, and use the spinning disks for /home as a second
-A yes pair, except that this is for a system that can only take 2
disks.)

Apologies if I have been asking this before and I'm being fuzzy, but I
think my previous query was about gpt booting.