How to enable quotas on /home

I'm trying to get quotas working on 7 beta. As far as I can tell the old
way of implementing quotas in fstab has been superseded, and fstab(5)
recommends "turn[ing] on the new, in-file system quota with tunefs(8) or
at newfs(8) time, and to not use the 'userquota' or 'groupquota'
options."

/home is a GPT partition - /dev/dk3. The file system was created as
follows:

newfs -O2 -b 16384 -f 2048 /dev/dk3

"tunefs -q user -q group /home" returns "enabling user quotas, enabling
group quotas", which appears to confirm user and group quotas have been
successfully enabled. I then run fsck_ffs on /home, following the
recommendation in tunefs(8). I follow the prompts to create user quota
inodes and group quota inodes; one thing I notice is it repeatedly
informs me of user and group quota mismatches for ID 0 and 1000. At this
stage quotas seem to be enabled but edquota tells me no mounted
filesystems have quota support.

Forcing fsck_ffs at reboot with the -f flag in rc.conf makes no
difference; as soon as I reboot "tunefs -N /home" tells me quotas are
disabled again.

Where am I going wrong? I've looked at all the quota-related man pages
but it's quite hard to separate those relevant to the new quota
subsystem from those relating to the older method. quotaon(8) and
quotaoff(8), for example, don't seem relevant to the new method.

-- Gerard Lally