py-usb problems

Not sure whether this belongs here or in pkgsrc-users. I have been
trying to package the weewx weather station software which is
written in python. It uses py-usb to handle the devices, but
I cannot get it to see anything on the usb busses. I don't
know python, but the simple program below shows the problem:

$cat a.py
#!/usr/pkg/bin/python2.7
import usb
busses = usb.busses()
for bus in busses:
    print "Bus:", bus.dirname
    devices = bus.devices
    for dev in devices:
        print "Device:", dev.filename
        print "  idVendor: %d (0x%04x)" % (dev.idVendor, dev.idVendor)
        print "  idProduct: %d (0x%04x)" % (dev.idProduct, dev.idProduct)

$./a.py
Bus: /dev/usb0
Bus: /dev/usb1
Bus: /dev/usb2
Bus: /dev/usb3
Bus: /dev/usb4
Bus: /dev/usb5

Five busses, but no devices! Yet they are there:

$usbdevs
 addr 1: OHCI root hub, vendor 0x1002
 addr 2: Weather Direct Light Wireless Device, LA CROSSE TECHNOLOGY
 addr 3: product 0x0103, vendor 0x04f3
 addr 4: product 0x0083, Belkin Components
addr 1: EHCI root hub, vendor 0x1002
addr 1: OHCI root hub, vendor 0x1002
addr 1: EHCI root hub, vendor 0x1002
addr 1: OHCI root hub, vendor 0x1002
addr 1: EHCI root hub, vendor 0x1002

Any clues. This is a recent NetBSD 7_BETA on amd64 and very
recent pkgsrc. /dev/usb* is readable/writeable by all

Cheers,
Dave

Phone: 07805784357
Open Source O/S: www.netbsd.org