Aligning things for SSDs

I'd like to align things to 4 Kb boundaries on my NetBSD installs, but
it is not clear to me how to achieve that.

If I use the install-time partitioning tool and use the default MB
sizes, things certainly seem to become poorly aligned; at least the
start sector numbers are not divisible by 8 (the 8 here comes from 4096
/ 512).   Having the / partition at sector 63 starts off badly...

I could partition using sector numbers of course.  Then comes the
problem what "end" means.  If I ask for start sector s and a size of b
sectors, the end is computed as s + b by the program.  Shouldn't it be s
+ b - 1?  I don't desire to have overlapping partitions!

--
Torbjörn
Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622