Using CARP with dhcpd?

I'm trying to find evidence that carp can work with dhcpd. All of the examples I have read are for ip level services, not layer 2.

The ISC dhcpd has it's own failover method, which might be what I should use, but it would be nice if it it could work with carp.

It's not clear to me how carp disables the "inactive" interface on the secondary machine. If it can still respond to layer 2 requests, this might not work.

I realize that a simple test could be done to see if dhcp would still listen and send ethernet frames on the carpX device on both sides, but it would take some time to get to that point, and I haven't bought the second carp device yet.

I'm using a static setup inside my dhcpd.conf ("hardware ethernet" and "fixed-address") so leases are not an issue (although dhcpd seems to be able to deal with a lost lease file).

Another option could be to write a script to determine which machine is the active carp one and then disable dhcpd if it isn't, but that's kinda messy.

Additionally, I'm still using pf and most examples are for carp and pf. It would be nice to hear if someone was using it with npf. I need to switch to npf apparently.

Thanks.

Andy