Re: ntpd not correcting system time, offset keeps increasing

> ntpd does not seem to be doing it's job.  i have Ver. 4.2.6p5
> installed on 6.1.5 and after 51 days of uptime, the system
> clock is 5 minutes behind and the offset just keeps increasing.
> ntpdate seems to work fine when the system boots, but ntpd
> just isn't maintaining the time after boot.

Physical hardware or virtual guest?

If virtual, is the time updating correctly on the physical side? If the time is drifting on the physical side it might be getting passed down to the guest. ntpd will do it's best to compensate, but will eventually give up.

I had a similar problem with NetBSD under virtualbox. I initially set the VM to maintain its own time independent of the host:

vboxmanage setextradata <vmname> “VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled” “1″

...but the root cause was the physical host not updating its time correctly