Re: NPF on domU - more clarity required

On Dec 26, 11:32pm, Gerard Lally wrote:
} At date and time Fri, 26 Dec 2014 22:38:05 +0000 (UTC), Michael van Elst wrote:
}
} > lists+netbsd.users%netmail.ie@localhost (Gerard Lally) writes:
} >
} > >compiling the kernel as a normal user instead of root? I've just noticed
} > >the owner and group on /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/custom-20141226/
} > >are gerard:wsrc. Should that be root:wsrc instead?
} >
} > It doesn't matter who is the owner of the build directory, but did
} > you actually boot this kernel?
}
} Oh dear. Problem solved. I've made a very silly mistake. With prgmr I
} should have placed the custom kernel in /ext2fs/boot/ instead of /
}
} The domU was not using my custom /netbsd kernel at all. It was still
} using the domU kernel installed by sysinst. The kernel specified in
} /boot.cfg, which I mistakenly assumed was the booting kernel, is

     Even with a "normal" Xen setup, /boot.cfg in a domU is ignored
as the kernel is loaded by the Xen hypervisor and not the NetBSD
bootloader.

} irrelevant. NetBSD as a prgmr domU uses a grub setup with the domU
} kernel in a small ext2 partition /ext2fs/boot/ and the boot
} configuration file /ext2/boot/grub/menu.lst
}
} Well I am happy this problem is now solved, and I apologise for my
} cantankerous first post! Mea culpa.
}
} Thank you Michael, and thank you to all the other senior NetBSD devs who
} stooped to help out this perpetual newbie, here and in private!
}
} As a sidenote, if there's a way of eliminating the grub cruft and using
} NetBSD's boot manager instead I'd be glad to hear it.

     No, there isn't a way.  This is something that is controlled
by the service provider, and not the domU.

}-- End of excerpt from Gerard Lally