Re: how to protect sd card on rpi

Hi Zoran,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 05:20:57PM +0200, Zoran Kolic wrote:
> After installing on raspberry pi, I found few articles,
> how to help sd card to live longer. What is neccessary
> to put in conf files for that?
>
> I.e. to have in fstab:
>
>    /dev/ld0a    /    ffs     rw,noatime,nodevmtime 1 1
>
> Then to put into /etc/rc.conf:
>
>   syslogd=NO
>   manpagedb=NO
>   savecore=NO
>   virecover=NO
>   fsck_flags="-P -p -y"

What you've got is an alright start right already.

You can also set up your system such that the SD card contains nothing but the
bootloader and the kernel, and then put the root of your file system inside a
USB stick, or over a network. I have something kinda-sorta set up this way on my
Rasperry Pi. The SD card is very small and sees very little I/O.

> Also, how would apmd and powerd behave on rpi?

They don't work very well in my experience. But I haven't done very much testing
with power on the Raspberry Pi, to be honest. And you shouldn't be using apmd(8)
anyway, it's deprecated.

-Christian