Re: will netbsd be sticking with gcc?

In article <20140914232622.GT22809%arwen.poofy.goof.com@localhost>,
Aaron J. Grier <agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost> wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 02:23:02PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>> In article <20140914034725.GS22809%arwen.poofy.goof.com@localhost>,
>> Aaron J. Grier <agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost> wrote:
>> >
>> >anybody tried compiling NetBSD/amd64 with the Intel icc toolchain
>> >recently?
>>
>> Last time I checked it was fairly expensive, required a license
>> server, and the installer was nightmarish.
>
>which is your roundabout way of saying that you haven't tried it?  :)

I have not tried it on NetBSD because I don't think it is worth it.
The version that used to be freely available is too buggy to have
me waste time with it.

No, it is my way of saying that although the quality of the compiler
is getting better, the licensing and installer are getting worse.

When it works, it usually is 10-20% faster than gcc and even more
when it handles the vectorization cases that gcc currently ignores.
Unfortunately it has some poor interaction with files that contain
both assembly and c... And sometimes it produces incorrect code,
but don't all compilers?

christos