delete user from group (was Re: NetBSD reference card (again!))

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014, Ilia Zykov wrote:

> Maybe anybody knows how to remove an user from a secondary(additional)
> group without
> manual edits the /etc/group. For instance:
> FreeBSD 'pw groupmod group -d user'

The user(8) tool doesn't offer it, but its code does have
rm_user_from_groups function for removing from all groups. Maybe you can
reuse or extend that code to have routine to only remove from defined
group(s).

By the way, the usermod/groupmod tool(s) on Linux (I looked at Ubuntu
passwd 1:4.1.4.2+svn3283-3ubuntu5.1 package) also doesn't have this
feature, but the usermod -G does remove the user from any groups not
listed with the -G.