Re: i386 install kernel doesn't detect SATA disks

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
> I think in general netbsd-5 is ok with AHCI.
> What is the date of your previous netbsd-5 kernel that works with AHCI?

I'm probably just making noise here...

My problem was with the INSTALL_FLOPPY kernel, and not the one I'm
using in production.

I was thinking AHCI was working fine with the install kernel on the
last upgrade I did with netbsd-5, which was late 2013, but it probably
really wasn't. I have amnesia.

My production kernel resembles GENERIC in regard to AHCI, which looks
like this (from netbsd-5 synced this morning):

(andy@)[/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf] $ head -1 GENERIC && grep ahci GENERIC
# $NetBSD: GENERIC,v 1.915.2.14 2013/06/19 07:50:14 bouyer Exp $
ahcisata*       at pci? dev ? function ?        # AHCI SATA controllers
ahcisata*       at jmide?

And INSTALL_FLOPPY looks like this:

(andy@)[/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf] $ head -1 INSTALL_FLOPPY && grep
ahci INSTALL_FLOPPY
#       $NetBSD: INSTALL_FLOPPY,v 1.1.16.4 2013/06/19 07:50:15 bouyer Exp $
#ahcisata*      at pci? dev ? function ?        # AHCI SATA controllers

So it appears that someone thinks there shouldn't be AHCI for SATA in
the install kernel. My result was the install kernel didn't detect my
SATA disks until I rebooted and put them in IDE mode in the BIOS. And
they wouldn't work with the production system until I rebooted and set
them back to AHCI (fsbn error, I didn't write it down). Somewhere
between slightly and mildly annoying.

I went back in cvsweb a ways and it's been the same for a while.

Andy