Re: How to Install NetBSD on ARM (SheevaPlug)?

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM, Sergei G <sergeig.public%gmail.com@localhost>
wrote:
> I bought SheevaPlug in the hope of running a nice low power server for
> personal needs, so it is my 1st exposure to ARM device.
>
> I use FreeBSD on Intel machine, but arm is Tier2 support, so I decided to
> give NetBSD a try. Unfortunately I am completely confused by the
> installation procedure. The instructions are focused on TFTP server, but I
> am trying to use USB stick formatted with FAT 16.
>
> I am just trying to boot into NetBSD without installing it on SDHC card.
> I don't know if it is the best way to go.
>
> I don't know which file I need to copy onto FAT16, so I copied 2 files:
>
> gzcat /Volumes/NETBSD_614/EVBARM/BINARY/KERNEL/NETBSD_IQ80321.BIN_GZ >
> NETBSD_IQ80321.BIN
>
> gzcat /Volumes/NETBSD_614/EVBARM/BINARY/KERNEL/NETBSD_IQ80321.GZ >
> NETBSD_IQ80321
>
> I then tried loading both files and failed.
>
> On Boot:
>
> U-Boot 2011.12 (Mar 11 2012 - 18:59:46)
> Marvell-Sheevaplug - eSATA - SD/MMC
>
> SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A1
> DRAM:  512 MiB
> WARNING: Caches not enabled
> NAND:  512 MiB
> In:    serial
> Out:   serial
> Err:   serial
> Net:   egiga0
> 88E1116 Initialized on egiga0
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> No MMC card found
> ** Bad partition 1 **
> ** Bad partition 1 **
> Wrong Image Format for bootm command
> ERROR: can't get kernel image!
>
> The autoload errors are coming from missing SDHC card with Debian Linux on
> it.
>
> I then try loading what I think kernel files are and the system hangs. I am
> sure I just don't do it right.
>
> Marvell>> fatls usb 0
>      4096   ._.trashes
>             .trashes/
>             .spotlight-v100/
>   4649600   netbsd_sheevaplug.bin
>   5148787   netbsd_sheevaplug
>
> 3 file(s), 2 dir(s)
>
> Marvell>> fatload usb 0 0x900000 netbsd_sheevaplug
> reading netbsd_sheevaplug
>
> 5148787 bytes read
> Marvell>> go 0x900000
> ## Starting application at 0x00900000 ...
>
> And that's when it hangs. I see nothing, so I pull the plug and try again.
>
> The installation document references memory 0x60660000. If that's the case,
> then I don't know which memory address to load into. I use 0x900000, because
> it works with Linux kernel, which is probably not right.
>
> Several months ago I compiled custom FreeBSD image, and was able to boot it
> (don't remember much about it). Unfortunately, I found that I could not boot
> FreeBSD from SDHC and abandoned that route. I hope NetBSD is better in that
> respect.
>

> thank you

I don't have a Sheevaplug, I have a Dockstar which is similar. So I
don't know exactly how to help you.

However, if you search on netbsd sheevaplug boot, I think you'll find
interesting info.

If you build a Sheevaplug kernel, you should get something called
netbsd.ub which is uboot friendly. I believe you can tftp boot it or
boot it from a FAT partition.

Your command to boot the kernel might work if you use 0x2000000, given
that the kernel is uboot friendly.

In my case I have to hardcode the root device into the kernel, not
sure if you have to do that on Sheevaplug.

Andy