Veriexec - automatic notification of mismatch?

I've set up veriexec to monitor a data directory (>20GB) containing
documents, pictures, music, and other personal files. I've tested
veriexec at Strict level 1 and it is working as expected. The reason
I'm doing this is to see whether or not veriexec can be used to monitor
a data directory for silent bitrot or file corruption.

Without checking /var/log/messages manually, how would I go about
triggering an instant notification if a file or files monitored by
veriexec had changed? A cron job doesn't seem the right way to do this.
Is there some other blindingly obvious way of doing this which has
sailed right over my head?

;)

--
Gerard Lally