Re: will netbsd be sticking with gcc?

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 06:03:02PM -0400, William D. Jones wrote:
> I know that deep within the source tree (I believe it's somewhere in
> $SRCROOT/share/mk), there is a piece of documentation which explains that
> portions of NetBSD depend on GCC's extensions... so that limits compilers
> which can compile NetBSD to clang/llvm and GCC... however, is there any
> documentation which describe which source files depend on what extensions?

That is not really a limitation, and pcc imlements enough of the
extensions as well (for C code). But we nowadays require C99 support,
so that rules out the most nasty stranglers upfront.

Most of this is abstracted away from the actual compiler in
src/sys/sys/cdefs.h and everything relying on an extension not
macro-magicalized there could be called a bug (worth a PR).

And of course we would accept patches that make it work with yet another
compiler. Are there any out there you are interested in especially?

Martin