Re: Fwd: NPF: boot time dlopen error

On 06/15/2014 05:21 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

"g.lister" <g.lister%nodeunit.com@localhost> writes:

I am running 6.1.4 stable on an i386 I have loaded the modules required
via boot.cfg:

        # modstat | grep npf
        npf               driver     boot       2     34883    -
        npf_ext_log       misc       boot       0     1091     npf,
        npf_ext_normalise misc       boot       0     929      npf,

During boot I get this message:

        Enabling NPF.
        npfctl: dlopen: Cannot open "/usr/lib/npf/ext_log.so"

Probably the easiest way is for you to make sure /usr gets mounted
before npf runs.  This is a longstannding historical issue to support
netbooting and diskless workstatations (back when in the mid/late 80s
disks were really expensive).  Basically, the notion was that / was
mounted at boot, either locally or over NFS, and then one had to bring
up networking, and then mount the other filesystems, whcih could be
remote and might need networking.

Now, that makes little sense, as I don't know of anyone that has /usr
remote mounted from someplace that needs more than the local net.
Actually I don't know of anyone remote mounting it other than for
testing and bootstrapping systems without working disk drivers.

So in rc.conf, put

critical_filesystems_remote="/var /usr"

That did it now the message is gone, thanks!!!, but still when the machine starts and I do: 'npfctl show' I get:

        Filtering:      active
        Configuration:  empty

Only after an 'npfctl reload' can I see the rules from the config. I have naturally set 'npf=YES' so I am not sure why.... they are not being loaded during a reboot....

which should cause mountcritlocal to mount these, and IIRC that happens
before the network stuff.  If that doesn't help, looking at the output of

   cd /etc/rc.d && rcorder *

and reading the scripts that do mounting may be helpful.