Re: Dell R710 and critical limit exceeded [Temp6]

On Mar 18, 2014, at 17:38 , jgw%freeshell.org@localhost wrote:
> fredrik Pettai <pettai%nordu.net@localhost> wrote:
>> On Mar 18, 2014, at 13:12 , Fredrik Pettai <pettai%nordu.net@localhost>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I recently installed NetBSD 6.1.3 amd64 (also tried 6_STABLE) on a Dell
>>> R710.
>>> The (un)funny thing is that it shutdown once it had booted up, constantly,
>>> with the message:
>>>
>>> Mar 17 14:41:45 xsrv1 root: /etc/powerd/scripts/sensor_temperature: (ipmi0)
>>> critical limit exceeded [Temp6]
>>> Mar 17 14:41:52 xsrv1 syslogd[372]: Exiting on signal 15
>>>
>>> There is nothing in the system that was overheated AFAIK.
>>
>> I moved aside /etc/powerd, so the machine wouldn't shutdown instantly.
>>
>> Here is the envstat output:
>> ..
>
> This seems not uncommon on various lines of Dell, HP, etc.  I just edited
> the scripts under /etc/powerd to do nothing when the occasional super high
> virtual temp spike is detected.  Suppose one could track down the upper
> temp limits and bump them up some but it seems largely unecessary unless
> you really care what the temps are.

I looked at another Dell R610 (the "lighter" version) running NetBSD 6.1_STABLE.
Temp6 look more normal on that box, but, it didn't have the limits defined
either.
I think the best fix would be to get rid of those limits that are on by default.

xsrv1# envstat
                      Current  CritMax  WarnMax  WarnMin  CritMin  Unit
[coretemp0]

[…]
             Temp6:    55.235   47.201   42.180    8.034    3.013 degC

Is it possible to remove CritMax, WarnMax, WarnMax and CritMin ?

/P