Re: Pass user-defined options to build of specific userland targets?

In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.1403071429200.1231%david.technoskunk.fur@localhost>,
John D. Baker <jdbaker%mylinuxisp.com@localhost> wrote:
>Is there a mechanism to allow user-defined options to be passed to the
>build of particular userland targets?
>
>My specific case involves bind9.  Since I run my own DNS and lack IPv6
>external connectivity, I wondered if it were possible to have my name
>servers drop AAAA records from recursive replies (to work around 'svn'
>lossage).  Sure enough, "filter-aaaa-on-v4 yes;" would do what I wanted
>but this option is not configured in the default build.  (Putting the
>option in "named.conf" will cause 'named' to fail to start at all.)
>
>Bv9ARM indicates this option is enabled via "--enable-filter-aaaa=yes"
>on the command-line to the "./configure" script.  I couldn't see any
>place to add configure options, so I modified the script to unconditionally
>enable the option.  Following the build, the option was still not
>enabled--it appears that the configure script is not used during the
>build.
>
>Since all that config option did was add "#define ALLOW_FILTER_AAAA_ON_V4"
>to "confdefs.h", but no such file appeared to exist, I made the modification
>shown below.  This worked and my nameservers now accept and honor the
>"filter-aaaa-on-v4" option.  Is there a better/more appropriate method?
>(I also don't like keeping local patches if I don't have to.)

Since this is an external option that does not change the default behavior,
I see no problem adding it. OTOH, in this scenario, I usually run named -4
adding to named_flags in rc.conf.

christos