Re: Downloading NetBSD - Too complicated ?

Miguel Clara wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 8:17 PM, Christian Koch
> <cfkoch%sdf.lonestar.org@localhost> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 01:51:06PM +0100, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> >> Hello NetBSD-Users,
> >>
> >> A couple of days ago I stumbled across the announcement of PCBSD 10
> >> and gave it a shot.
> >> Downloading was easy and fast, because it utilizes a CDN.
> >> At that point, I crosschecked with www.netbsd.org and was embarrassed, how
> >> complicated it is to get a copy of NetBSD.
> >
> > CDN means "content delivery network," right? How is a FTP site not a CDN?
> >

> And how is it?
>
> A FTP server might or might not be under a CDN, in the case of PC-BSD
> they use a CDN, although I must say it doesn't make much diference for
> me (europe/portugal).

Absolultey a ftp can be a CDN. In fact, if anyone has used W3TC with
Wordpress, they will know there are CDNs with FTP.

The subtle nuance is that while a ftp can be a cdn, a cdn is not simply
a ftp. Its far more complex and actually very nice way to distribute
data globally. Mind you, local mirrors can be also *loosely* be argued
as such.

I have quite a healthy experience with CDN's. From AWS, MaxCDN, Fastly
to even Google SpeedPage. I also use Edgecast.  Delivery of content has
become far more complex and heavy in our world today. The content has
become richer and bigger in size. Download speeds matter incredibly to
many sites - ranging from Netflix to the ones you probably stream other
content on.

While torrents are still pervasive, most businesses find themselves
using CDN's. FB, Twitter you name it. For most SMB's recently its been
cloudflare which offers a very interesting solution for no cost. There
are pros and cons of each method and provider (and I can rant on
forever) but the use and real world deployment of CDN's has allowed
larger data content (mostly videos or images or files) being pulled from
POPs rather than Originating Servers alone.

My personal favs are: MaxCDN and Fastly (Fastly uses varnish) with Dyn.
I use this with the Dyn's Enteprise Traffic Director that allows you to
route traffic almost real time from one CDN to another depending on load
and other factors...its awesome :)

Google SpeedPage is also nifty albiet a bit more quirky and not as nice
in terms of reporting - in comparison to MaxCDN or Fastly or Edgecast
even.

--

++     Intolerance is the last defense of the insecure. ++