Re: Downloading NetBSD - Too complicated ?

Andy Ruhl wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 6:33 AM, Ottavio Caruso
> <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:
> > On 6 February 2014 13:51, Zafer Aydoğan <zafer%aydogan.de@localhost> wrote:
> >> At that point, I crosschecked with www.netbsd.org and was embarrassed, how
> >> complicated it is to get a copy of NetBSD.
> >
> > Don't be.
> >
> > Clicking on six links is not rocket science. I think Netbsd caters for
> > a certain audience that wants to have a bit more control on the system
> > and would gladly sacrifice a user-friendly web dialogue.
> >
> > What about the install.* documentation instead? That one is a bit too
> > terse and frankly outdated. It assumes a certain experience with
> > Netbsd which not everybody has.
> >
> > Not to mention the official documentation on the website, which in my
> > opinion is based on the 5.x release.
>
> I think NetBSD has been alienating newer users for a long time. Even
> back in the 1.4 days when I started using it, it was difficult to get
> installed.

I disagree with this assertion. NetBSD is far easier to install than say
OpenBSD (simply if we were to talk about installers). The both are relatively
painless really compared to say Solaris Jumpstart. If you wanna loose hair.. :P

Nevertheless, as it was said earlier NetBSD seems to cater to a certain
crowd. Who appreciate the nuances.

My 0.0000000001 Bitcoin opinion.

--

++ The hardest thing is to disguise your feelings when you put a lot of ++
++                     relatives on the train for home. ++