Re: Wi-fi problems with channel 12

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 09:39:38AM +0000, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> On 28 December 2013 00:30, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > You don't mention where you are, and if 12 is an authorized channel
> > there.
>
> I'm in the Netherlands, channels 1-13 are authorized here.
>

> > You can read the soruce code, but I would be surprised if this is
> > hardcoded in NetBSD.  I would think it more likely to be in the
> > firmware/ROM of the adaptor.
>
> I don't think so, I think the limitation is in either the iwn(4) or
> the ath(4) driver. If it was in the firmware why would it work
> straight ouf the box in Windows?

There are various ways to skin this cat, and the Wi-Fi vendors have used
at least three of them:

        the EEPROM tells which country's regulations the device
        complies with, and it lists the legal channels, the proper
        transmit power, and perhaps some digital filter parameters
        for each legal channel

        the EEPROM tells the legal channels, proper transmit power,
        et cetera, for most countries' regulations; it's up to the
        operating system to choose the parameters that are legal
        in the country where the device is operating---that might
        be determined

        something more sophisticated or complicated than the above

It could be that not all of our drivers are selecting the set of legal
channels in the way that the vendor intended.

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981