Re: Thinkpad T42 and NetBSD - Experiences?

> I have to replace my current laptop I have found an IBM Thinkpad
> T42 with 1.5GB RAM and a small Hardisk. Its a sturdy built thing what
> fits my needs.
>
> My question - is anybody out there who had ever used one with NetBSD?
> Anything I should know about this model before I buy it and install
> NetBSD on? Are there known incompatibilities or is this Thinkpad a
> safe choice?

I have been running NetBSD on a Thinkpad T41p for may years, and it's
worked flawlessly.  At the time when I got it, I was careful to get it
with Atheros-based wireless (more variants exist), but I think that
these days the support for other wireless cards have improved.  My
variant also has the Radeon graphics (don't recall the variant
offhand), and with NetBSD 5.x, I even get xvideo working -- no such
luck so far on my Radeon-equipped (X1400) T60 Thinkpad, which I also
run with NetBSD, and I've also used it with ogle as a DVD player.  I
think the T42 is of the same era as the T41p, and would not expect any
trouble with the NetBSD support of it.

Best regards,

- Håvard