Re: RAID reconstruction hangs the whole system

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 02:04:09PM -0600, Greg Oster wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 21:37:53 +0200
> Jarmo Jaakkola <netbsd-users%roskakori.fi@localhost> wrote:
> > Is [RAIDframe only supporting two mirrored components] still valid
> > (NetBSD 6.1.2)?
>
> Yes.
>
> > What would this actually mean?
> It means you should only use 2 components for a RAID 1 set, as using 3
> or more is not currently supported.

Sorry, my meaning didn't come through properly.  I meant: If one were
to not heed this advice, what should one expect to happen?

> > Should raidctl barf when trying to create a mirrored set with more
> > than two components?
>
> It probably should, but I'm betting it doesn't.  What does your
> RAID config file look like?  What does 'raidctl -s' say for the RAID
> set?

The RAID set configured and seems to work just fine except for
the  reconstruction problems.

    # raidctl -G raid0
        # raidctl config file for /dev/rraid0d

        START array
        # numRow numCol numSpare
        1 3 0

        START disks
        /dev/wd1a
        /dev/wd3a
        /dev/wd4a

        START layout
        # sectPerSU SUsPerParityUnit SUsPerReconUnit RAID_level_1
        128 1 1 1

        START queue
        fifo 100

    # raidctl -s raid0
        Components:
                   /dev/wd1a: optimal
                   /dev/wd3a: failed
                   /dev/wd4a: optimal
        No spares.
        Component label for /dev/wd1a:
           Row: 0, Column: 0, Num Rows: 1, Num Columns: 3
           Version: 2, Serial Number: 2013113000, Mod Counter: 67
           Clean: No, Status: 0
           sectPerSU: 128, SUsPerPU: 1, SUsPerRU: 1
           Queue size: 100, blocksize: 512, numBlocks: 130944
           RAID Level: 1
           Autoconfig: Yes
           Root partition: Yes
           Last configured as: raid0
        /dev/wd3a status is: failed.  Skipping label.
        Component label for /dev/wd4a:
           Row: 0, Column: 2, Num Rows: 1, Num Columns: 3
           Version: 2, Serial Number: 2013113000, Mod Counter: 67
           Clean: No, Status: 0
           sectPerSU: 128, SUsPerPU: 1, SUsPerRU: 1
           Queue size: 100, blocksize: 512, numBlocks: 130944
           RAID Level: 1
           Autoconfig: Yes
           Root partition: Yes
           Last configured as: raid0