Re: spurious reboot

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 04:17:11PM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 08:24:33AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > The only way for software to cause this would be triple-fault AFAIK.
> > Or a watchdog ...
> > But maybe you should try to replace RAM too ...
>
> That RAM crashes on i386 GENERIC, GENERIC with PAE enabled, but it seems to
> be just stable with an  amd64 kernel.
>
> And memtest found no defect. Is it possible there is a memory related bug
> in NetBSD-6.0/i386 ? The GENERIC kernel was only able to see 2 GB of memory
> while 8 were installed, perhaps that is a hint something is rotten?

A GENERIC/i386 won't see more than 4Gb anyway, and usually it's more
like 3Gb because 1Gb mapped to PCI memory space. GENERIC/i386 with PAE
should see the 8Gb but maybe it has not been tested as much as i386 or amd64.

I've no problems with i386 on servers, but all my servers with more than
2GB RAM are running amd64 these days ...