Re: spurious reboot

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu%netbsd.org@localhost>
wrote:
> <jgw%sdf.org@localhost> wrote:
>
>> +1. Had a laptop doing that due to something in the ACPI thermal system
>> reporting an occasional rediculously high CPU? temp.  Once I determined
>> that the system really wasn't overheating I simply changed the appropriate
>> script under /etc/powerd/ to not initiate shutdown.
>
> But the system does not reboot off powerd decision, it just reboots just
> like if someone pressed the reset button (which is not the case, I know
> it since it rebooted while I was there)

I went back and looked and the ACPI issue I saw was actually a power
down, not a reboot. ACPI was receiving one of the S states (S3 I
believe) because of a hardware bug.

You mentioned ipmi, have you looked at ipmi logs?

In another unlikely case, I had a motherboard which would cause panics
because the clock on the memory needed to slow down. I think randomly
it would just reboot without a panic, but memory issues usually cause
panics as you pointed out.

Andy