Re: Is it possible to install from a USB disk with sysinstall or Grub?

--
> Ottavio

Question is whether the second partition would have a recognizable file system,
since the USB memstick image might have an embedded MBR.

If the result is a recognizable BSD file system, you could boot the Super GRUB2
Disk image on the SysRescCD USB stick.

Then, possibly,

set root=(hd0,msdos2)
insmod ufs2 (or maybe it would be ufs1, or try both)
knetbsd /netbsd (assuming that's the kernel name)
boot

You would be advised to run "ls" to make sure the USB stick with SysRescCD is
(hd0) as opposed to (hd1) or other.

Otherwise, you could format the second partition, using NetBSD or FreeBSD newfs
if possible, otherwise FAT32 might possibly work, and copy the files into that
partition, then you'd have a root partition, but the question is what NetBSD
would call it, nothing so easy as with FreeBSD (/dev/da0s2, or /dev/da1s2,
etc).  Maybe sd0f, or sd1f, etc?

In that case, you would boot the .iso or .img but would be able to specify a
root partition.

I've never done this but have experience, favorable and unfavorable, with Grub2
and syslinux.

I think the root would have to be on the cyber version of terra firma.

Tom