Re: imap configuration

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 06:22:23PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 02:52:51PM +0100, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
> > I have the need to configure my mail servers to accept remote mail
> > from company smartphones, which will have unpredictable IP addresses
> > at any given time.
> >
> > As I understand it, this is best done using port 587 and a suitably
> > configured imapd, but it is not clear to me whether stock imapd can do
> > the job.  I get the impression that I need to build something like
> > dovecot - but what is the difference between dovecot and dovecot2?
> >
> > I guess this is all obvious once you know it, but if there's a "how to
> > get started with port 587" guide, that would be really helpful.
>
> No, that's not imap job's, that's the job of the MTA, sendmail or postfix.

Well, it is the IMAP servers job if you combine Dovecot and Postfix.

> It needs to have SASL auth enabled. In this case it's better to use TLS too.

Indeed.

> With sendmail this is done with:
> PKG_OPTIONS.sendmail+=sasl tls
> and rebuild sendmail. This should pull in cyrus-sasl.

I would recommend to user neither Sendmail nor Cyrus SASL. Both have
a very poor security track record. The combination of Postfix and
Dovecot (for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP with TLS and authentication)
works very well.

        Kind regards