Re: limit dhclient to one server only?

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:19:12AM -0700, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Jukka Marin
> <jmarin%embedtronics.fi@localhost>wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to set up a DHCP server and client so that the client accepts it's
> > IP from this known DHCP server only.  Is this possible with the standard
> > dhclient?  If so, how? :)
> >

> If I might pry a bit, why?
>
> I've had this issue a little bit but it's only because when I add some whiz
> bang device to my network, it often wants to be the dhcp server. I'm just
> careful to disable that before I add it to the network.

My solution: try to *be* the fastest dhcp server on the network. If

you're faster than (most of the time) poor consumer hardware, then

everything is ok.

Where is the security? Well, we bind port and mac address together and I

know, you can change mac addresses too, but I guess, there is always a

way to do evil things on a network if you have physical access...

We also have separated vlans for each room and our firewalls do not

allow dhcp, so, if some device is looking for bovver, only 7-8 clients

are affected.