Marvell 88E1149 PHY working with makphy?

Back when I first set up one of my machines using 5.99.x, the Intel PCIe
ethernet card (add-in, because onboard ethernet was dead) was shown to
have a Marvell 88E1149 PHY, then supported by "makphy", so when I made
my custom kernel, I enabled it and disabled all others (including "ukphy"
as there were then no unknown PHYs).

So, I periodically update (now with the latest 6.1_STABLE/i386) and
didn't pay attention to the fact that at some point my card's PHY was
disabled from being matched by the "makphy" driver.  The machine managed
to continue working even with no phy driver attaching.

I discovered all this today and enabled "ukphy" to get more information
and perhaps make it work better.  That confirmed which PHY I had.  Then
I flipped the "#if" test in "makphy.c" to restore the 88E1149 to the
device list and my machine works fine with it.  I know the comment in
the commit disabling this specific device says "ukphy" works fine with
it.

wm0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: Intel i82574L (rev. 0x00)
wm0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 16
wm0: PCI-Express bus
wm0: FLASH
wm0: Ethernet address [redacted]
makphy0 at wm0 phy 1: Marvell 88E1149 Gigabit PHY, rev. 1
makphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT,
1000baseT-FDX, auto

Would it be reasonable to add a conditional so that those who have a
known working 88E1149 PHY can make it a kernel config option and use
the "makphy" driver?  (At least until the problem it causes for some
hardware is fixed.)

Thanks.