wpa_cli can't connect with wpa_supplicant

This is on NetBSD 6.1 i386 using the base wpa_supplicant. (I haven't
installed pkg wpa_supplicant, though vaguely remember even it gave this
error.)

Earlier (and I can't figure out before doing WHAT) wpa_cli used to work
fine for me.

Now wpa_cli gives the following error and hangs:

Could not connect to wpa_supplicant - re-trying

wpa_supplicant is actually running fine as the encrypted network is
functioning and "/etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant status" also shows it running.

How to go about diagnosing this? I used to rely on it to switch the
wifi network quickly.

Mayuresh