PPP over SSH: pppd sending eof

Hello,

I'm setting a VPN "by hand" when needed by using PPP over SSH.

It succeeded on different hosts till now, and with a new one I have
systematically the connected to end (receiving the ssh request) sending
an eof after the initial negociation. Here is an extract of ssh(1)
logging:

debug2: channel 0: request shell confirm 0^M
debug2: fd 6 setting TCP_NODELAY^M
debug2: callback done^M
debug2: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768^M
debug2: tcpwinsz: 33580 for connection: 6^M
debug2: tcpwinsz: 33580 for connection: 6^M
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 32768^M
debug2: tcpwinsz: 33580 for connection: 6^M
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0^M
debug2: channel 0: rcvd eof^M

I wonder if the eof (from the connected to end) has something to do with
the tcpwinsz size negociation (failing? 33580 when asked for 32768
adjustment?).

I have verbose logging from ssh(1), but the "debug" for pppd doesn't
yield much information on the connected to end: it says the connection
has succeeded and immediatly after Exit.

If somebody had any clue, thanks in advance! I'm at a lost (because it
works elsewhere, and not there; the new node is a NetBSD 5.1.2, amd64.

TIA
                      http://www.kergis.com/