Re: NetBSD on modern laptops

Peter.Bex%xs4all.nl@localhost (Peter Bex) writes:

>On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 03:59:28PM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
>> >I don't know what kind of devices these are, exactly (I'm pretty sure I
>> >don't have three modems in it, and no old-fashioned COM port either),
>>
>> The 3 modems report as Lenovo H5321, that's a broadband interface (UMTS
>> or similar). Your laptop probably has a slot for a SIM card.

>It does on the inside, I'm told ;)

>> puc0/com0 is a serial port in the Intel chipset but the signals are probably
>> only routed to an original Lenovo docking station.

>Thanks for the hints!  Is there any way to disable these devices (besides
>compiling a custom kernel of course), since I'm not currently using them?
>It would be great to use hibernation on this laptop.

USB is a bit tricky unless you want to disable all of USB. The Lenovo
notebooks I know can disable the broadband interfaces via ACPI, but
to control this from NetBSD you need the thinkpad acpi driver enabled
and the driver might not work because of the different methods used
by the various Lenovo notebooks. There could be a BIOS option too.

The puc driver can probably be disabled with userconf.