Re: Starting service (particularly ntpd) in background

On 26 May 2013 at 15:01, Mayuresh wrote:

> On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 12:46:19AM -0000, David Lord wrote:
> > My own /var/log/ntp/ntp.log has nothing and /var/log/messages
> > just confirms I don't have a problem so maybe the OP should
> > give some more details.
>
> I realize, the time taken is not by ntpd, but by ntpdate. I have both
> enabled in my rc.conf.
>
> But ntpdate does take something close to 20s.
>
> The reason I keep ntpdate enabled is, the system is also used with an
> alternative OS (Linux) and sometimes the clock is found offset by GMT to
> my time zone's difference. Starting just ntpd just gives up and does not
> correct this difference.

I think that is a problem that you should fix. I also
multiboot with some systems BSD, Linux and Windows.
I have them all set to UTC. BSD and Linux can apply
timezone correction and display local time but ntpd
in both cases is UTC.

> Is it alright to keep ntpdate enabled by default? Why does it take so
> long?

I have ntpdate_flags="-4 -b -s" as otherwise ipv6 might
be tried and fail (only one of my servers has ipv6
access to internet just now).

I sometimes have to reboot my servers a couple of times
for NetBSD updates and use of ntpdate significantly
reduces time to get my ntp service synced and usable.

If you don't need better than about 50 msec or so accuracy
immediately after bootup you can set ntpdate=NO in rc.conf.

David