Re: Postfix-dovecot-squirrelmail in NetBSD 6.1 RC2 Warning: fd limit (ulimit -n)

Edgar Rodolfo <rodolfobsd%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am testing the rc2 i386, i am learning to use basic mail server on
> NetBSD, currently i am doing a basic mail server with postfix, dovecot
> and squirrelmail.
>
> The warning that i see:
> Warning: fd limit (ulimit -n) is lower than required under max. load
> (768<1000), because of default_client_count.
>
> then i see in my command line:
>
> #ulimit -n
> 128

This is a recurring issue in NetBSD, and we should perhaps revisit the
default limits.  It's hard because a 64-processor machine with 64G of
ram should have different limits than a beaglebone, but it would be
perhaps confusing if they were autosized.

So one of your programs (perhaps dovecot) is complaining that it expects
to need 768 or 1000 open files,  but the limit is lower (but it's not
giving it's actual limit).

There are three approaches:

  change the sources to modify the default limits up, because 128 open
  files per process seems too small in 2013 (hard, have to rebuild,
  perhaps we should, but not my advice to you)

  adjust login.conf.  see the man page.   Someone at work was having
  trouble with this (for apache), so definitely use "ulimit -a" to see
  if it is working.

  in /etc/rc.d/dovecot, and so on, put "ulimit -n 2048" or some such.

I am presuming that your machine is big enough to do what you want.
If it's a personal service (for a househould  or so), it doesn't need to
be that big.  Beware that lots of GUI mail clients end up with many
connections; I just checked a server used by 2 people, and it has 9 imap
connections.

I would also advise you to "ulimit -a" and look at all the limits.
Probably the file limit is the one that will probably bother you.