Re: rebuilding whatis database - weekly output for Sat Mar 23 04:30:00 CET 2013]

    Date:        Sat, 23 Mar 2013 14:06:27 +0100
    From:        Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost>

  |         if [ -x /usr/libexec/makewhatis -a \( -f /etc/man.conf -o \
  |              -o -d /usr/share/man \) ]; then

  | Do other people see that too? I'd think that the backslash would
  | properly continue the line of the "[" command.

It does, the problem is the two consecutive -o operators.   Test's
syntax is so bizarre, that how that gets interpreted is beyond comprehension.
(The "closing paren expected" that it is complaining about would be a
missing \) of course, not the ']' which is taken care of at a whole
different level.)

  | Looking at it a bit more, there isn't even a /usr/libexec/makewhatis
  | command.

That's a different issue....

kre