couple of questions about 6.1 RC1

Hi,

I was noticing more and more CRC file system errors on a couple of new WD
'black' drives so I figured the cheap-ish controller/mobo was flaky, swapped it
out for much better. No file system errors yet, crossing fingers.

Anyhow, I have a couple of questions about things i'm seeing on boot.

NetBSD 6.1_RC1 (KAINDA) #0: Sat Mar  9 08:53:06 PST 2013

da3m0n8t3r%dx.burplex.com@localhost:/usr/obj/sys/arch/amd64/compile/KAINDA
total memory = 32749 MB
avail memory = 31792 MB
timecounter: Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
timecounter: Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 100
ioapic0 at mainbus0 apid 8: pa 0xfec00000, version 21, 24 pins
acpi0 at mainbus0: Intel ACPICA 20110623
acpi0: X/RSDT: OemId <GBT   ,GBTUACPI,42302e31>, AslId <GBTU,01010101>
ioapic0 reenabling
acpi0: SCI interrupting at int 9
timecounter: Timecounter "ACPI-Fast" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000
hpet0 at acpi0: high precision event timer (mem 0xfed00000-0xfed00400)
timecounter: Timecounter "hpet0" frequency 14318180 Hz quality 2000
acpiwmi0 at acpi0 (AOD, PNP0C14-0): ACPI WMI Interface
acpiwmibus at acpiwmi0 not configured
timecounter: Timecounter "clockinterrupt" frequency 100 Hz quality 0
ERROR: 2721 cycle TSC drift observed
WARNING: module error: can't find builtin dependency `compat'
..

The TSC drift is over 250 so the thing is setting TSC quality to -100 and
marking it 'unsafe'. Is this something I should worry about? I'm not really
familiar with timing considerations, however I did notice settings for C1 in
BIOS but it doesn't look like there's code in the kernel for this(?). Maybe the
hpet0 timer makes the difference. From reading the tsc.c source and some ng
postings it sounds like this drift would only be a problem if I'm writing code
that depends on the accuracy of the timer, but I did read that it can affect
'system stability'. (Which is obviously a general `sound-good` term that might
not have any meat attached to it.)

Also the 'compat' dependency, is this related or (probably) something i've
missed in my kernel config .. if you have any ideas please let me know.

Thank you,

--
Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA