Re: Printer recommendations

On 02/24/2013 04:01 PM, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
G'day,

I'm in the market for a new printer but need some guidance from this
group. What current models are supported? Ideally, I want a
multifunction station for scanning and printing, but from my
understanding, most require special drivers and software support only
supported through MS OS.

So, what printers do NetBSD'ers use?

cheerio Berndt

If you use CUPS you should visit

http://www.openprinting.org/printers

and search the various manufacturers to see which ones work perfectly.

I recommend to Linux users

Brother
HP
Epson

My experience is that if they work in Linux they will work in NetBSD.

I suggest people stay away from Lexmark, Dell, and Canon, regardless of their operating system.

Lexmark, in the past, had indicated that it was not interested in providing printer information to Linux developers so they could create printer drivers. I believe Dell and Canon are simply rebranded Canons.

If I'm mistaken, and my information is outdated, I hope someone will tell me.