Re: Hitachi 1TB HDD's, NetBSD 6.0.1 and RAID1 - soft errors and clicking noises!

Andy Ball <ball%grex.org@localhost> writes:

>   GT> 63 is leftover from when floppies actually had 63 sectors per track.
>
> I've seen soft-sectored floppies with 8, 9, 15 and 18 sectors, never 63.
> ;-)

Sorry, I guess I was confused on this point then.  It's been a long time
since I played with an RX02 :-)

But, I think the accurate notion is:

  63 arises from ancient history, and is now tradition,
  it doesn't make sense with modern disks,
  especially with 4K physical sectors

And I suspect most people agree on:

  one should use a multiple of 2^k 512-byte sectors for some decent k
  for aligning.

  popular values are 64 and 2048.