Re: Tying to get old software to build - fsviewer-app-0.2.6

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:17 AM,  <yancm%sdf.org@localhost> wrote:
> I'm running NetBSD 6_Stable i386 on a dell C400 laptop w/1G ram.
>
> This is my second attempt to get a usable desktop environment running
> under NetBSD in about 13 years using it as a command line only OS. The
> first attempt was aborted because my old laptop was indeed too old and
> underpowered to be any fun, this laptop seems worth resurrecting.
>
> I'm using the windowmaker desktop meta-package...which installed well.
> I chose this because it purports to be lightweight and I had some
> experience with NeXT way back when...
>
> Pkgsrc Mozilla and gimp compiled and installed and seem to work well
> enough, though Mozilla 17 does tax the hardware.
>
> I wanted a graphical file/directory browser...I did not find what I
> wanted in pkgsrc (I did not want to drag in gnome or kde, but I'm
> open to suggestions). I found what appears
> to be a fairly lightweight alternative in fsviewer-app-0.2.6.
>
> * - First, I downloaded it to /usr/local/src and set about trying to
> get it to compile. I found a few missing dependencies, but finally
> it configure'd and compiled (make) cleanly.
>
> Problem 1: The executable knows the right version of all the shared
> libraries (I inspected and see them via strings), but looks
> in /usr/local/lib rather than /usr/pkg/lib. I cannot figure out
> how/where I should put a flag to make it look in the right place.
>
> * - Second, I looked at the "The pkgsrc developer's guide" and the
> ELF FAQ, and ran through the example to try to create a package for
> this app, I put this in my pkgsrc/wip/fsviewer-app-0.2.6.
>
> Problem 2: url2pkg worked fine, but when I try to make, the compiler
> cannot find any of the libraries in /usr/pkg/lib (kinda the opposite
> problem to my first attempt). I suspect there is a directive I should
> put in either the package Makefile or in one of the files in the
> package inside of work, but again, I'm stuck and could use some
> suggestions.
>
> thanks,
> gene

Did you consider using XFCE?

For just a file manager, ROX is pretty good.  (the last time I used it, anyway)

----

making a package- you need to identify all of the dependencies and
include their buildlink3's.
And then just make clean, make, find missing dependency, repeat.  :)

Here's a really handy doc: http://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/targets/