Re: NetBSD, sendmail with AUTH and TLS

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 05:03:34PM -0600, Michael Parson wrote:
> The bits that I can think of to check are:
>
> /usr/local/libexec/sendmail/sendmail (not linked against libpthread at all)
> /usr/local/lib/sasl2/liblogin.so (not linked against libpthread at all)
> /usr/local/sbin/saslauthd (not linked against libpthread at all)
> [...]

See below

> For giggles, I ran through all of /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/bin,
> can't find anything linked against pthread.0, all the pthreads requests
> are for .1

Okay, so it's not the upgrade itself that's wrong.

> It might help if I can find who is loading libsasldb.so.  Reading a
> ktrace of sendmail it looks like sendmail is loading it, but it's not
> directly linked to it:
> [...]

That's likely the problem.  Libpthread *must* be loaded from the
very start of the program.  It can't be initialized later on, AFAIK.
It used to be that the program would just segfault, IIRC, but perhaps
that changed (or my memory doesn't serve me as well as I hope).

This is probably a packaging issue then.  If you can get the sendmail
binary linked against libpthread, that should probably solve the issue.
I've had this program before with interpreters.  The interpreter
didn't use threads so it wouldn't be linked against pthread, but some
extension I installed later would be linked against a library that
was linked against pthread and this would cause it to crash when
extensible binary in pkgsrc will probably have to end up linking
against pthreads...

Cheers,
Peter
--