Fwd: Unified BSD?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Martin <martin.kelly4000%gmail.com@localhost>
Date: Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Subject: Re: Unified BSD?
To: Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost>

I can see how you could misunderstand what i said.

My point was about that each of the BSD's use pkgsrc in a different way and the releases from FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD or DflyBSD don't all rely on the exact same packages for every release (i.e. NetBSD 6 and FreeBSD 9 do not use the same version of GNOME-2 desktop; poor example), and that generally per BSD release they generally blob the binaries that are compatible for that release together.
While each of the aformentioned distros run on a different release schedule (i.e. FreeBSD will release a new version a lot quicker than per-say NetBSD). These two things in combination with each other make it harder for one to update even if all BSD's had certain standardized components related to binaries and compatibility.

That was not saying one can't use pkgsrc to update or install packages on an earlier version of BSD persay FreeBSD 6 or how pkgsrc releases binaries and source.

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 4:09 AM, Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost> wrote:
Martin <martin.kelly4000%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> The biggest fault i see with this idea is updates. Pkgsrc is generally just
> one large blob of binaries or source that have been deemed stable and
> compatible with that current release of whichever BSD in question
> (generally archived by date).

Sorry? This is just lie. pkgsrc is generally compatible with a lot more
than just current FreeBSD release. I have successfully used it on FreeBSD 6
when it was forgotten upstream.

> That means in its current form with each BSD
> on a different release schedule there would be incompatibilities for those
> BSDs that don't update as frequently (namely NetBSD, OpenBSD &
> DragonflyBSD). Which means a change of how source and binaries are archived
> not to mention pooled together.

pkgsrc release cycle is shorter than that of any of all those operating systems
you listed.

--
HE CE3OH...