setup a printer/scanner server with cups/sane/hplip

Hi,

today I installed cups, sane and hplip to setup a print and scan server... The printer is a HP Photosmart 309a AIO device... It is attached to the computer by usb...

Software is installed... but howto set up hplip? I tried to use the the serial number given to me by usbdevs -v and I got a cups uri.. But I can`t get the printer working... Are there any howto`s or did somebody of you a working setup?

Greetings,
Helge