NetBSD-Users archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

NetBSD 6.0/amd64 on a Latitude E5500 (X11 related)

Hash: SHA1


I recently upgraded a laptop of mine which was running
NetBSD 5.1/amd64. Everything ran stable and smooth, but
because I needed to run some recent emulators/wine apps,
I decided to upgrade the machine to NetBSD 6.0/amd64.

At a glance, everything seemed to work, but within a
couple of minutes, I noticed the CPU was 100% busy when
under X11. Also, this laptop used to work perfectly with
DRI/DRM, but as shows,
that issue is well known. Last but not least, www/firefox
is nearly unusable because some portions of the viewed
website are shown "scrambled".

All that failures put together, I decided to take another
option: use pkgsrc's modular Xorg.
We, at NetBSDfr, maintain a repository at with some particular (as in
needed) build features, and I decided to rebuild it with
X11_TYPE=modular also for NetBSD 6.0, as we enabled that
option only for NetBSD 5.1 until now.

One pkgin export / import later, I recovered a fully functionnal
X11 environment, no CPU burns, no firefox glitches. I still
haven't tried DRI/DRM but from what the kernel says, I presume
it will work also.


- ------------------------------------------------------------------
Emile "iMil" Heitor .°. <imil@{,,}>
              |        | ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
              |  |  - against HTML email  X
              |        |              & vCards / \

Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (NetBSD)


Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index