PBR not bootable (eek!)

Well, I've been "experimenting" again, and we all know what that
means...no joy in Mudville.

I put NetBSD 6.0 on ancient Micron full tower -- dual PPro 180mhz
(zowie!) and then wished to added a second scsi hard drive.to the
install, a twin to the drive on which 6.0 is now booting quite nicely
thank you.

In a fit of pique I was driven to take a step never previously
attempted, at least by me, to wit, reformatting the drive using the
scsi controller's built util for such purposes. Here is the sad result
according to fdisk:

---

Disk: /dev/rsd1d
NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
cylinders: 11727, heads: 5, sectors/track: 303 (1515 sectors/cylinder)
total sectors: 17774160

BIOS disk geometry:
cylinders: 1024, heads: 255, sectors/track: 63 (16065 sectors/cylinder)
total sectors: 17774160

Partitions aligned to 16065 sector boundaries, offset 63

Partition table:
0: NetBSD (sysid 169)
    bootmenu: n
    start 63, size 17774097 (8679 MB, Cyls 0-1106/99/33), Active
        PBR is not bootable: All bytes are identical (0x00)
1: <UNUSED>
2: <UNUSED>
3: <UNUSED>
Bootselector enabled, timeout 10 seconds.
First active partition: 0

---

Some time spent on google suggested 'installboot' might be the remedy,
but I am in over my head with that util I am afraid (as well as with
MUCH else besides, clearly <g>).

Is there any light to be shed on this PBR-ish problem I have created for myself?
--
No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely

http://trollboy.thruhere.net:8080/MontyPython/fish.htm