Re: sysupgrade - has anybody tried it

Julio Merino <julio%meroh.net@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM, herbert langhans
> <w3%langhans.com.pl@localhost> wrote:
>> Hi List,
>> cowardly I procrastinate updating my laptop to 6.0. There is no bootable
>> device built in (IBM Thinkpad X31), I have installed NetBSD by taking
>> the harddisk out, put it into a PC and ran the installation from CD.
>>
>> Anyway - I see sysupgrade can do the trick without all the hassle. My
>> question is - has somebody sucessfully updated from 5.1.2 to 6.0? Any
>> traps there? I read in the NetBSD-Doku that sysupgrade is still
>> 'undergoing field testing' by August 2012 ...
>
> Unfortunately doing an upgrade from 5 to 6 with sysupgrade still
> requires some manual handholding.  I haven't had a chance to make this
> better yet :-/
>
> The key trick is that you must ensure there is a reboot between the
> kernel upgrade and the userland upgrade. Something like:
>
> # for step in fetch modules kernel; do sysupgrade $step || break; done
> # reboot
> # for step in sets etcupdate postinstall; do sysupgrade $step || break; done
> # sysupgrade postinstall fix [any checks that fail, which will probably
> happen]
> # sysupgrade clean

It's pretty much the same thing, but with INSTALL-NetBSD (a simple shell
script in the etcmanage packaeg), you start in the releasedir (so
e.g. i386 is a subdir) and

  cp -p /netbsd /netbsd.ok # to have a recovery plan
  INSTALL-NetBSD installkernel
  (reboot)
  INSTALL-NetBSD installuser
  postinstall check
  (think)
  postinstall fix

If you run just 'install', it will do the kernel, and then the sets with
base.tgz last.  So you can hard reboot then and almost certainly get
away with it.

It seems clear from Julio's mail that sysupgrade does basically the same
thing.  (It may be cleaner about modules; I don't run kernels that really
need to load modules.)