Re: How to use two WAN connections at once?

frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost (Frank Wille) writes:

>Yes, that's exactly what I want to achieve! My second conncetion is
>via LTE (4G), which is not so reliable as DSL (maybe it disconnects on a
>misty winter day?), and has a limited monthly volume, but is much faster.

That's generally impossible as it requires cooperation from both uplinks.

What you could do is automate the switch between both uplinks. You
need to reconfigure NAT for private networks and renumber hosts
with public IP addresses. The action could be triggered by ifwatchd.
Any such switch will obviously disrupt existing connections.

Load balancing is much more difficult and cannot work for individual
connections. You could do some kind of policy routing and e.g. send
HTTP traffic to one link and other traffic to the second and again
use ifwatchd to reconfigure when a link fails.

If your links are no local interfaces, then you need something different
from ifwatchd.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost