Re: Unified BSD?

On 2012-11-13 18:51, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
Hi,
Reference:
From:           Johnny Billquist <bqt%update.uu.se@localhost>
Date:           Tue, 13 Nov 2012 13:34:56 +0100

Johnny Billquist wrote:
On 2012-11-13 11:45, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:08:08AM +0100, Joost van de Griek wrote:
On 12 Nov 2012, at 21:37 , Robin  Björklin <robin.bjorklin%gmail.com@localhost>
wrote:

Am I bat crap crazy for thinking it could be good to merge the four largest BSD
variants out there, take the best bits and pieces out of each and create a
Unified BSD?

You'd end up creating a fifth.

At least a sixth, IIRC. You left out MirBSD from your distribution list.
Also, you could argue that Minix, with its NetBSD compatibility,
is a seventh and MacOS-X, with its partially (Free-/Net-)BSD compatible
userland, an eighth.

And what about 2BSD, BSD 3 and BSD 4 with all their releases?
(And I assume that there was probably something that in retrospect would
have been called 1BSD as well...)

        Johnny

No they were sequential from same team, not later parallel forks.

Not so fast... 2BSD and BSD 4 are definitely parallel, almost to this day, I'd say... Well, BSD 4 has been sortof dead for a number of years now, but 2BSD is not entirely so dead yet. And things were back- and forwardported between the two for a while.

        Johnny